New Music Tuesdays...
Out this week (9/4):
THROWBACK: KANYE WEST SAYS 'GEORGE BUSH DOESN'T CARE ABOUT BLACK PEOPLE'
On September 2nd 2005, Kanye West appeared at a live benefit concert for Hurricane Katrina Relief which aired on NBC. During the concert, Kanye went off script about how black people in New Orleans were being portrayed in the media.
The rapper appeared onscreen with actor Mike Meyers, who said, "With the breach of three levies protecting New Orleans the landscape of the city has changed dramatically tragically and perhaps irreversibly. There's now over 25 feet of water where there was once city streets and thriving neighborhoods. (Kanye West) I hate the way they portray us in the media. If you see a black family they're looting, if you see a white family it says they're looking for food and you know it's been five days because most of the people are black and even for me to complain I would be a hypocrite because I tried to turn away from the TV because it's too hard to watch. I've even been shopping even before giving a donation so now I'm calling my business manager right now to see what is the biggest amount I could give and just to imagine if I was down there and those are my people down there I say anybody out there who wants to do anything that we can help. With the set up, the way America is set up to help the poor, the black people, the less well off, as slow as possible. I mean this the Red Cross is doing everything they can. We already realize a lot of the people that could help are at war right now fighting another way and they've given them permission to go down and shoot us."
- Mike continued, "And subtle but in many ways more profoundly devastating is the lasting damage to the survivor's will to rebuild an remain in the area. The destruction of the spirit of the people of Southern Louisiana and Mississippi may end up being the most tragic loss of all. (Kanye) George Bush doesn't care about black people."
- The show, which aired live on the East Coast, was edited for broadcast in other parts of the country.
Click here to listen to: CONCERT FOR HURRICANE RELIEF MIKE MEYERS AND KANYE WEST PART 1
- Her entrance was as grand as you can imagine, and her performance featured a special guest Missy Elliott!.
KANYE WEST, DONALD TRUMP HAVE SURPRISINGLY SIMILAR POLITICAL STYLES
Kanye West and Donald Trump may have more in common than the obvious facts that they are self-made, self-promoting, slightly offbeat gazillionaires who have declared their candidacy for President in 2020 and 2016, respectively.
- Kanye, who threw his hat in the 2020 presidential ring at MTV’s VMA’s on Sunday, reminded Jimmy Kimmel of, you guessed it …. Trump.
RIHANNA ENDORSES KANYE FOR PRESIDENT
Meanwhile, Rihanna is all for Kanye running for President. She told ET, "I mean people are voting for Donald Trump. Who wouldn’t vote for Kanye?!" She added, I’m really, really elated with his speech. His speech was incredible."
- She also told E!, "I love seeing him like that. I love seeing him in that raw, honest state." She added, "2020? I hope he really does!"
CHRIS BROWN'S BABY MAMA RELEASES STATEMENT
Nia Guzman, the mother of Chris Brown's one-year-old daughter Royalty, has released a statement denying involvement with King Ba -- her ex that is wanted by authorities for felony forgery. Her rep said in a statement, "The allegations that have been made against Nia Guzman are completely false. Nia has not been in a dating relationship with Ba for several months and she has no criminal record and has never took part in any criminal activity with Ba."
The statement continued, "Also, Nia is not trying to obtain any fame or additional money from Chris Brown other than the child support that is expected for the raising of their child and she asks that the press and general public would stop hurling false accusations at her and her daughter."
- Meanwhile, sources told Hip Hop Wired that Guzman may be doing interviews in the future, but for a fee.
- Chris and Guzman are due in court in two weeks. Guzman filed for full custody of Royalty and told Global Grind that she is fine with Chris seeing his daughter "as long as he's in a good place" adding that "the life of a recording artist isn't a place for a 1-year-old." Chris currently pays $2,500 a month and Nia wants $15,000.
JAY Z WANTS CRIMINAL PAST & FINANCES OUT OF 'BIG PIMPIN' CASE
Jay Z has asked a judge to keep his personal history and finances out of the courtroom for his "Big Pimpin" case. As previously reported, Jay was sued by a relative of Egyptian composer Baligh Hamdi in 2007, who said that Jay and Timbaland ripped off his 1960 song "Khosara, Khosara". The case will go to court in October and Jay is expected to testify.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, the mogul's lawyer Andrew Bart made a motion to the judge to "preclude evidence and arguments relating to the superstar’s financial condition." TMZ added that Jay’s lawyer team is also asking the court to keep his criminal history out of the court room but since Fahmy is claiming Hov and Timbaland stole the sample, his life of crime before hitting it big in music is relevant.
- Bart believes that his client’s financial status will be used by the plaintiff’s legal team to attempt to "bias the jury" and "artificially inflate the size of a potential damages award." U.S. District Judge Christina Snyder will hear arguments from both sides at a hearing scheduled for Sept. 16th.
RIHANNA TO LAUNCH BEAUTY LINE
Rihanna launched her fragrance line, "RIRI" at Macy’s Monday (August 31st) night. Which is great, but fans clamoring for more of a head-to-toe treatment are even more excited about Fenty Beauty, a new line of cosmetics that is in the works. Refinery29 broke the store after an interview at the fragrance launch Monday night.
The singer admitted that she quietly trademarked Fenty Beauty last year, and that a full-fledged line of products is under development. Among her dream products: "Lashes that could just put themselves on...lipstick that doesn’t move, but doesn’t dry your lips out, that you don’t need a liner for. I mean, it sounds so unreal."
- Rihanna has already released a line of fragrances and has collaborated on a line of beauty products with MAC, but Fenty would be her first all Rihanna all the time beauty line. Bring on the blue lips and throwback knots!
NEW RIHANNA ALBUM IN STORES THIS FALL
Meanwhile, iHeartMedia executive Tom Poleman told Billboard that Rihanna's new album will be out this fall. He said, "Personally I’m anticipating new music from Rihanna and Kanye West this Fall— it’s just a matter of time until we get to hear it!"
TAYLOR SWIFT JUST SHAKES IT OFF WHEN INTRUDER STEPS ONSTAGE
When Christian Ewing, 26, managed to get onstage at Taylor Swift’s show in San Diego’s Petco Park, the singer never broke stride, continuing her performance of "Style."
- Ewing reportedly snuck into the concert and made his way to the stage before getting into a brawl with security guards in which one guard suffered broken ribs.
- Ewing was charged with misdemeanor battery and obstruction. His bail is set at $35,000.