New Music Tuesdays...
Out this week (1/27):
SAM SMITH WANTS TO BE AN 'ICON'
Sam Smith wants to be the biggest star in the world. Sam spoke to GQ magazine for their "Legacy Project" and said, "As early as 12 years old, I used to have panic attacks, because I needed to know my life plan. I can’t explain it. There’s always been a hunger in me not necessarily to be successful, but to be an icon. I just want to leave a mark — to be kind of everlasting. If we’re going to go really deep, we’re all trying to live forever. My music is my way of doing that."
He continued, "You know, I want to be the biggest star in the world, but I also want to maintain the soulfulness. I don’t want to lose my mind or my humor. I want to be a pop star, but I also don’t want to be a pop star. I won’t name names, but I will never act like some of the current pop stars have acted toward me. We can be friends, you know? We can. It’s not a competition. There’s space for all of us. There’s always space for good music."
Sam went on to speak on relationships he has with other artists in the industry, saying, "Taylor Swift is amazing. I sang with her in London once but didn’t get to properly chill with her. Then, at the American Music Awards last November, I got to sit down with her and chat. She’s a role model. I really respect her. And she manages to sell a lot of records and make a lot of people happy financially, but also to keep that soulfulness, that honesty."
- On why Sam makes music, he added, "Make music so you don’t have to go to therapy or rehab. I sound awful saying this all the time, because it sounds like I’m slagging off current pop stars, which I’m not, because I love pop culture. But I feel like class and romance have gotten lost. We’ve become a bit lazy, not just in terms of music. I miss the days when girls would wear full long dresses and just stand onstage and sing. That’s what I’m trying to bring back: that timeless element. I want to create music that people will be listening to in fifty years, you know?"
TAYLOR SWIFT SAYS 'HACKERS GONNA HACK'
Taylor Swift's Twitter account was hacked yesterday (January 27th) by two individuals and one claimed that they were going to leak "nude" photos of the singer. One hacker whose Twitter handle was "@veriuser" posted a tweet to Taylor's followers, saying, "Shoutout @veriuser follow him guys’ Fav when done for a follow… Love you all!!!"
This same hacker then sent out another tweet that said, "go follow my boy @lizzard :)" The hacker named "lizzard" wrote to Taylor's fans that he and the singer are currently dating. He later tweeted, "Will post taylor swift’s nudes when this btc wallet hits 3btc" and included a link to a Bitcoin account.
- The tweets were deleted from Taylor's page shortly after. She then addressed the hack, "I’d like to acknowledge the MVP of the day, @yelyahwilliams, for being the first to text me about the hack this morning. #FriendshipGoals. PS any hackers saying they have ‘nudes’? Psssh you’d love that wouldn’t you! Have fun Photoshopping cause you got NOTHING."
CHRISTINA AGUILERA AND ARIANA GRANDE PERFORMING AT THE ALL-STAR GAME
Christina Aguilera and Ariana Grande are set to perform at the 2015 NBA All-Star Game. According to That Grape Juice, the two singers will perform a "New York themed medley" during the player introductions. The singers will also be performing with The Rockettes as their backup dancers.
- The event -- which will air live from Madison Square Garden, will take place on February 15th.
BRITNEY SPEARS THUMBS UP JENNIFER LOPEZ'S NEW FILM
Britney Spears has given Jennifer Lopez a thumbs up from one mother to another. Britney tweeted, "It's easy for us moms to feel dull and invisible at times but this put some pep in my step. Thank you, Jennifer, for being you. Just saw the new movie 'Boy Next Door.' @JLo is so beautifully strong and inspiring…"
- J.Lo retweeted the singer's message and even got a free plug from Britney who also tweeted, "Remember to go see #BoyNextDoor this weekend."
NICK JONAS SPEAKS ON BEING A 'GAY ICON'
Nick Jonas has opened up about becoming a "gay icon." He told Rolling Stone, "I don’t know if I’d necessarily call myself a gay icon. But my goal in the last year was to expand and grow as a person and an artist, and embracing my gay fans was a priority. Some of my gay friends have thanked me for that, and that’s a really good feeling."
- He added, "It just kind of happened, and now I have a lot of unexpected new fans," he reflects. "It was pretty interesting to watch it all unfold and travel in the way it did. It’s resurfacing at the moment, as another male artist Justin Bieber has done a photo shoot similar to it. It’s one of those things where I’m getting sick of looking at myself like that."
SIA RELEASES SONG FROM 'FIFTY SHADES OF GREY' SOUNDTRACK: Sia has released her track called "Salted Wound" which is featured on the upcoming Fifty Shades of Grey soundtrack. On the record, she sings, "Take a chance, it wasn’t what you know. Take my hand, and don’t let go." The soundtrack also features records from The Weeknd and Ellie Goulding.
CHRIS BROWN COMES FOR FAN ON INSTAGRAM: Chris Brown doesn't bite his tongue for no one. After he announced that his "Between The Sheets" tour with Trey Songz and Tyga was postponed due to him having to complete community service, one fan questioned why it wasn't completed, saying, "Dear Chris Brown, you were sentenced 1,0000 hours of community service on 8/16/13. What were you doing between then and now? I need answers." Chris replied, "Making music, jail, and trying to please you ungrateful b*tcha$$ n-ggas!!!"