New Music Tuesdays...
Out this week (8/26):
KANYE WEST CAN DO WHATEVER HE WANTS AT THE VMAS
Reports say that MTV has given Kanye West free reign to do whatever he wants at the VMAs this Sunday (August 28th). According to TMZ, the rapper will have four minutes on stage to speak, perform or stay silent -- and as of press time, producers have no clue what he is going to do.
Last year, Kanye won the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award and instead of performing, he gave an 11 minute speech, where he famously announced that he was running for president in 2020.
- The 2016 MTV Video Music Awards will air live from New York’s Madison Square Garden on Sunday at 9 p.m. EST
KANYE KICKS OFF 'SAINT PABLO TOUR' IN INDIANAPOLIS
In other news, last night Ye kicked off his 32-date Saint Pablo Tour last night (August 25th) in Indianapolis. According to Complex, fans were delayed entering the arena while Kanye did a few last minute sound checks.
- Once fans got inside, they discovered that the stage was an open floor with floating stage. He opened the show with "Father Stretch My Hands Pt. 1."
SHAWN MENDES TALKS BEING A SEX SYMBOL
Shawn Mendes doesn't think being a sex symbol is something to rave about, unless you're in love and it's your partner who is referring to you as a sex symbol. During a recent interview with Billboard, the singer explained, "The second I feel about a girl the way I feel about music is when I know. Being a sex symbol isn’t cool unless you’re in love with a girl and she calls you a sex symbol." He also claims that it is impossible to have sex now that he's famous.
Mendes also spoke on hooking up with older women, saying, "Patience is about a girl older than me who I hooked up with, but the next day was so scared because of how young I was. I have a sore spot for older people who are weird around younger people."
- The singer went on to defend fellow Canadian, Justin Bieber. Mendes said, "People thought of him as a type of person. But maybe he was the same person the whole time and you guys just didn’t give him a chance to show you who he was. Stop looking at him in a negative view and accept him as who he is. We don’t get mad at punk rock bands for doing sh*t like he does, because that’s their personality. I just find it very confusing."
- Shortly after Mendes' interview with Billboard surfaced, the singer slammed the publication for misquoting him. In the article, the singer was quoted, saying, "You’re one person. You can’t let them take everything from you. Because they will – not in a malicious way. They just love you. You have to be careful. People know me but they have no idea." Billboard published the story with a tagline that said, "Shawn Mendes on how his fans don’t truly know him." Mendes took to Twitter and said, "I have no idea why they would say that. I did not say that!!! I explained how im growing up and so are you guys and how it takes time for you all to fully understand me and me to understand you. It's really unfortunate when what you say gets turned into the bad version of it. I'm sorry guys." Mendes also accused the magazine of cutting out portions of his interview, saying, "And the part that i spoke about how much my fans mean to me and what i owe them is not even touched on. Again, im sorry. Very frustrated."
KATY PERRY FEELS SORRY FOR 'CATFISH' VICTIM
Katy Perry empathizes with a man who claimed he was being catfished by the singer. During a recent radio interview, Katy said she heard about the man who believed he was dating her for the past six years. She said, "Yes, somebody sent me a link. I didn't actually read through it, because I just think it's really unfortunate and very sad."
The "Rise" singer went on to say, "Yeah, you know, not everyone can be, but I think that, you know, my heart goes out to him, actually because anybody that's been fooled like that or just you know… People have dreams, and people live in different parts of the world where not everything is as accessible. Like, we live on the coast, and you know, we get stuff in a way that some other people don't get, and so I feel bad for him. And so I didn't really like to indulge in that, because my heart would die."
- Katy added that the situation is "really unfortunate and very sad."
REPS DENY BRITNEY SPEARS' INVOLVEMENT IN BIOPIC
Britney Spears hasn't given Lifetime the green light to do a biopic based on her life. Reps for the singer confirmed to BreatheHeavy.com that Britney "will not be contributing in any way, shape or form to the Lifetime biopic nor does it have her blessing." As previously reported, BreatheHeavy.com published a story saying that Lifetime was allegedly going to be releasing a biopic on Britney that was going to highlight her "rise to fame, fall from grace and triumphant resurrection."
- On the biopic, The Hollywood Reporter published a story earlier this week, saying, "The two-hour movie will follow Spears’ early career as a young girl from Louisiana, relationship and breakup with Justin Timberlake as well as her personal struggles following her parents’ divorce. Also set to be examined are her marriages to Jason Alexander, Kevin Federline and her downfall that saw her lose custody of her sons before she rebuilt her career and proved herself to be a force in entertainment."
TAYLOR SWIFT ISN'T ATTENDING THE VMAS
Taylor Swift won't be attending the MTV Video Music Awards this year. An insider told People magazine, "Taylor was never scheduled to attend the VMAs." Swift, who is known to attend and sing along to the lyrics of her favorite songs while in the audience, was not nominated for any awards this year.
- In other Taylor related news, according to Oh No They Didn't, after donating $1 million to Louisiana flood relief last week, Taylor has given an additional $50,000 to the Greater Baton Rouge Food Bank. The food bank tweeted about the donation, saying, "Thanks @taylorswift13 for giving $50,000 to the #BRfoodbank! We may have lost a lot but we're going to shake it off."
CAMILA CABELLO FOUND HERSELF IN SONGWRITING
Fifth Harmony's Camila Cabello has opened up about finding her identity in songwriting. In a recent interview with V magazine, Cabello said, "I think songwriting was the biggest way that I found my identity. It’s hard to know who you are when you start doing that stuff, and songwriting has helped me stay sane throughout this whole thing."
Cabello also spoke on her record, "I Know What You Did Last Summer," with Shawn Mendes. She continued, "I felt like that was the first time I got to show people who I am and the music that I was writing while we were doing the mall tours—all the sh*tty demos on my laptop that nobody knew I was doing."
- The 5H singer went on to reveal that she gets her heartbreak playlists from Taylor Swift, adding, "If I’m going through a rough time with a boy or if there’s boy drama, she’ll be like, ‘Here’s a playlist I made when I was going through that,’ or she’ll call me to talk about it. She’s always teaching me. She’s given me such great advice. And honestly, just seeing her live her life? You learn from it. She’s so graceful."
- In other news, Camila revealed that she chipped her tooth during 5H's recent show in Atlanta. She tweeted, "So.... someone threw one of those plastic balls at me and hit the mic and a piece of my tooth fell!!!! Atlanta....u wild.... love u gotta get it fixed now tho lol."
TEENAGER ASSAULTED AT SELENA GOMEZ CONCERT: A fan was reportedly assaulted at a Selena Gomez concert in Melbourne, Australia earlier this month. According to TheAge.com, police are investigating if the man in question targeted other concertgoers or if he assaulted another victim the following night. The police, however, have a photo of the alleged suspect.
ADELE IS MOVING TO L.A.: Adele is moving to the west cost. According to Celebuzz.com, the singer's new neighbor said, "She’s always incognito in a hat and glasses. But she’s very friendly!" Adele also revealed to fans during a recent show that she plans to move to L.A. She said, "I’m officially half a resident of LA. Half LA; half London. I’m in America for eight months. I’m on tour and then I’m going to have Christmas in America. I haven’t done that before, I’m really excited." According to Us Weekly, the singer purchased a $9.5 million mansion in Beverly Hills.
VMAS EXEC SPEAKS ON RIHANNA'S UPCOMING PERFORMANCE: VMAs exec, Jesse Ignjatovic, had spoken highly of Rihanna's upcoming VMAs performance. Ignjatovic told Entertainment Weekly, "I'm really excited because she’s taken this opportunity to inject her own creativity into it. If we’re talking on Monday the 29th or after the show Sunday, everyone will be surprised with what she’s done to make this honor her own and something that’s extremely impactful. Rihanna’s medley will touch on the biggest tracks of her career as well as music from her latest album, Anti. I can tell you it’s going to be one of those holy crap VMA moments. She’s not playing. She’s bringing it."
EMINEM IS HELPING DONATE SCHOOL SUPPLIES TO EVERY STUDENT IN FLINT, MICHIGAN: Eminem has partnered up with the Kids In Need Foundation to donate some school supplies to students in Flint, Michigan. Earlier this week, he posted a PSA on IG asking his 9 million followers to join him in donating school supplies to all 5,500 students in Flint. According to the website, a $25 donation can help one kid have supplies for the entire year.
ROBIN THICKE AND PHARRELL APPEAL ‘BLURRED LINES’ COPYRIGHT VERDICT: According to The Guardian, Robin Thicke and Pharrell Williams filed an appeal against the verdict of their "Blurred Lines" lawsuit, where they were ordered to pay $5.3 million and 50% of all songwriting and publishing revenues. Lawyers for the musicians said in their opening brief that "if left to stand, the ‘Blurred Lines’ verdict would chill musical creativity and inhibit the process by which later artists draw inspiration from earlier artists to create new popular music." The lawyers argue that the original verdict considered the audio similarities between the two songs rather than simply the sheet music or "deposit copy" filed with the US copyright office. Meanwhile, the briefing also stated that the court allowed the Gayes’ experts to testify on the sound recording, as well playing their own music excerpts based on it. The court instructed the jury to consider this testimony, which the defense lawyers say should not have been allowed.
FRANK OCEAN’S ‘BLOND’S IS NO LONGER AN APPLE MUSIC EXCLUSIVE: Frank Ocean’s new album Blond is no longer an Apple Music exclusive. According to Pitchfork, the album is now available on Pandora.
ALICIA KEYS, CHANCE THE RAPPER AND MORE TO PERFORM AT THE APPLE MUSIC FESTIVAL: Alicia Keys and Chance The Rapper are two of the artists that will be perform at Apple Music’s annual festival. In honor of its 10th anniversary, the 10-night, multi-genre celebration will take place in London and kick off on September 18th with Elton John. Alicia Keys will hit the stage on September 20th, Britney Spears will perform on September 27th and Chance will close the festival out on September 30th.
Apple Music Festival Dates
- Sept. 18 – Elton John
- Sept. 19 – The 1975
- Sept. 20 – Alicia Keys
- Sept. 21 – One Republic
- Sept. 23 – Calvin Harris
- Sept. 25 – Robbie Williams
- Sept. 26 – Bastille
- Sept. 27 – Britney Spears
- Sept. 28 – Michael Bublé
- Sept. 30 – Chance the Rapper